Wednesday, April 25, 2007

a quilt of memories

Dear friends,

The other day Ah boy and I were talking about our past, and I thank God for giving us such a long history together, so many numerous shared experience. In retrospect, I think God has really been really good, they way he interweaved the both of our past to cross each other in so many occasions.

I still remember him when we were in Sunday School, when I was 7 and he was 9. Subsequently, his mother became my sunday school teacher. How comical is that? Even now, I call her 'yu rong laoshi' after so many years. I guess I can't really dismiss the fact that she once taught me when I was young. Once a teacher, forever a teacher. At that time, Ah boy was always hanging around the back during Sunday School, with his 'i can't be bothered' and 'this is lame' attitude. But Ah boy was not my ah boy then, I merely called him 'Vin' short for 'vincent'.

I remember our awkward adolescence. Ah boy was skinny then, and he had a lot of leg hair and i was abit afraid of his sullen face. I was afraid of people with alot of leg hair because in my mind, leg hair = pervert. hahaha. How funny is that?

When I grew to Sec ONE and joined Nanyang choir, he was the VP in Cat High choir. And as Providence would have it, both choirs along with dunman high, travelled to the beautiful sandy Waikiki beach in Hawaii for a choral festival. I liked him then, and it was rumored he had feelings for me.

We continued interacting in church, being in the same cell and all. There were pleasant memories of church retreat, common jokes that happen to certain comical people in church, the camaraderie of youth camp, of christmas carnivals and carolling.

In 2002, he went to Hwa Chong choir, which shares the same choir instructor as Nanyang Choir. This seemingly trivial circumstancial 'coincidence' proved pivotal for the start of our relationship on 1 March 2003. Follow the train of argument; because we shared the same instructor, we had a choral workshop at Victoria concert hall, because I had worship prac that day, Ah boy followed me to church, on the MRT, HQ (Bless him!) messaged him saying he wanted to talk to him, I instinctively knew he wanted to talk to him about our 'too close for comfort behaviour' so I told Ah boy what the discussion would be about

The events of March 1st 2003 merits another story on its own, but suffice it to say, I became his girlfriend. The rest, as they say, is history.

God was gracious in granting him the MOE scholarship (local), even though he only applied for the award. And the Almighty's act of graciousness enabled the both of us to be reading economics in NUS under the same scholarship, and provided us with the financial means to finance our education and our future.

Today, we are the cell leaders of the youngest cell in the youth zone. And our teenage years have come full circle.

Thank you Lord for writing our love story.

3 comments:

harpist said...

This was a very nice post. Very nice indeed. And you ought to stop worrying too (:

HungryGoon said...

haha. do you how to set up a tag board for blogger.com?

Ria said...

Just go to www.cbox.ws and sign up and then insert the code to ur template. Takes time to understand your codes. Its like maths...only easier...